Trefl hope to cause sensation in ‘Match of the Week’ with Zenit KAZAN
Luxembourg, March 12, 2019. Trefl GDANSK are hosting record-winners Zenit KAZAN in the ‘Match of the Week’ as the men’s quarterfinals take off with a bang in the 2019 CEV Volleyball Champions League. It appears a sort of mission impossible for the Polish team but as they play without any pressure, Trefl hope to cause a sensation and to end the winning streak of Zenit KAZAN in the competition. Make sure you tune in and follow the match on EuroVolleyTV, the new digital home of European Volleyball!
• Trefl GDANSK and Zenit KAZAN locked horns in the 2015-2016 season as well when the Russian ‘armada’ claimed 3-1 and 3-0 wins away and at home, respectively.
• Trefl have qualified for the quarterfinals for the first time in their history. In their only previous participation in the Champions League, Trefl reached the Playoffs 12.
• Zenit KAZAN arrived in Gdansk on Monday afternoon already – thus watching the match played on that same night at ERGO Arena between Trefl and PGE Skra BELCHATOW. Skra won the game 3-2. Trefl are playing as many as four home matches in a bit more than a week across domestic and international competitions.
• The respective coaches – Andrea Anastasi and Vladimir Alekno – are among the most successful ones in Volleyball. Anastasi is a three-time European champion, three-time winner of the World League and Olympic bronze medal winner. Alekno has multiple titles from the Champions League, World Cup, World League and Olympic gold to his name.
• Earvin Ngapeth – who is wearing the shirt of Zenit KAZAN this season – played in Gdansk back in the 2015-2016 season for MODENA Volley. Trefl won their home match against the Italian team 3-2 before losing 0-3 in Italy.
Maciej Muzaj, player of Trefl GDANSK: “I cannot guarantee the result, but I promise that we will fight and try to make a surprise. I am always a mega optimist and believe that we can win 3-0 or 3-1, even against Zenit KAZAN. Of course, I know what kind of an opponent they are and that it will be a very tough match, but there have been so many surprises in Volleyball history, so why not us doing it this time?”
Andrea Anastasi, head coach of Trefl GDANSK: “It is a great experience for us to play against such a top Volleyball team as Zenit KAZAN. In the group phase of the Champions League and in each of the six games we contested, we played our good Volleyball and showed our best level. I hope that on Wednesday we can do it one more time. We do not have any pressure in this match, maybe this will be also the key to take to the court and just show our best.”
Click here for further information about the Match of the Week.
Click here for further information.
Information by cev.lu